I struggle to think of any UK TV production that has come under such
intense scrutiny as the new series of Top Gear. There are endless stories
about it, it's production and so on.

As I've said before, I'd be amazed if it's anything like its predecessor
(And it's worth noting that there was a previous incarnation of Top Gear
before the Clarkson/May/Hammond version, which itself was a world away from
what we've had in recent years).

Evans himself will be fine - he has vast presenting experience, and is
likeable and gets on with a wide range of people. I'm not sure about
LeBlanc, because I'm not sure whether he really has the experience to be a
presenter rather than an actor. But this is programme that's built in the
edit.

Over the weekend BBC Worldwide was holding its annual in-house
international sales presentation to global networks, and Top Gear
(alongside Planet Earth 2) was a big part of that. Evans confirmed that
only LeBlanc will be in all the first series -
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-23/matt-leblanc-will-appear-in-every-episode-of-top-gear
- which makes me wonder how he'll continue should his new sitcom get picked
up. I suspect that 22 network sitcom episodes pay rather better than 16 BBC
shows will.

Adam

PS Funnily enough, I walked past the pair of three-wheeled Robin Reliants
that are part of one of the new series' "races" the other day coming into
work. It was a bit of a press-call with photographers hanging around for a
look at Evans and LeBlanc - who I didn't see. The two cars had a Union Jack
and Stars & Stripes painted on them respectively. They were heading from
London to Blackpool - about 230 miles away. It was quite cold that day:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-19/of-course-matt-leblancs-first-day-filming-top-gear-involved-a-reliant-robin