That's a guilty pleasure of mine even though the "Saint Marie" crime-rate
would surely make any sane Brit visiting for a
holiday/dive/archaeological-dig think twice about visiting since the chance
they get bumped off is extraordinarily high.

It's always amusing to see a relatively decent cast of actors slumming it a
bit for the series - no doubt enjoying the fact that they get to spend a
couple of weeks in the Caribbean to shoot their episode.

The series was originally a co-commission with a French TV network - and
it's still shown there. The series benefits from French government
production credits by filming in Guadalupe.

I think it does well for BBC One because while it's always on in Jan/Feb
when it's cold outside, it's set somewhere sunny and hot. And it's a rare
British show with a significant black cast.