Basically FB has fired the team that used to put manually put that trending
sidebar together. This followed that report that suggested the team were
too "liberal" and weren't including right-leaning stories in the trending
section.

Instead, FB has gone for an algorithmic approach, but so far with fairly
disastrous results. There was a fake Megyn Kelly story a couple of weeks
ago, when they first introduced it (more on that here:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/29/facebook-fires-trending-topics-team-algorithm),
and now it seems to be full of click-bait and/or ultra-trivial rubbish.
There's no filter, and whatever people are sharing goes in regardless of
accuracy or importance.

Of the ten stories I see on the main tab right now, only one has actual
proper news value. The rest are at best "entertainment news."

The other FB story at the moment is their censorship of the "Napalm girl"
Pulitzer prize-winning photo of Kim Phuc taken during the Vietnam War. FB
considers this nudity, and has prevented a Norwegian newspaper and Prime
Minister of Norway from publishing it without blurring or pixilation!
(Story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37318031).

I think the comment at the foot of the BBC story really gets to the heart
of the matter. FB considers itself a technology company as opposed to a
media company, and therefore works in a different way. But like it or not,
with so many people getting their news from FB, they are indeed a media
company. And they therefore have to take responsibility for both
propagating nonsense stories and censorship according to their own rules.

Adam