Gawker and TMZ were, or are not aimed at everyone. Yes - they want to
maximise page views and did all they could to do so. But that was amongst
their target audience.

For starters both were aimed squarely at Americans, and Americans
interested in gossip of one sort or another. I'm not saying non-Americans
don't or didn't read them, but their target was in the US.

Facebook is GLOBAL. It's aimed at everyone from 13 (and in reality younger)
to grandparents wanting to see family photos. We're literally talking about
billions of users.

So no, Facebook actually wants to be read by all, and crap in the trending
box really doesn't help. And they know it, and will probably fix it.

Let's also not forget about internet.org - Zuckerberg's piece for the third
world. The disconnected. He actually wants to make Facebook *the internet*
for billions more. He's been trying to deals with mobile operators in India
(without success so far) and just this last week in Nigeria, amongst many
other places. Free  internet.org services on any cellphone - but to his
services. It's a walled garden approach. Like when AOL wasn't the internet.

And if he's controlling the news on what to many people *is* the internet,
that makes what Facebook does or doesn't allow enormously important. Scary
frankly.

On 9 Sep 2016 22:54, "Kevin M." <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, September 9, 2016, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that is what you are claiming; what I am having trouble
> believing is that it is actually true that the kinds of stories they are
> posting will actually get them more page clicks.
>

> Gawker was seen by millions. Time posts Kardashian/Jenner stories multiple
times a day. TMZ doesn't exist to share happy, friendly gossip.

There is a market for media that appeals to the worst aspects of human
nature. In skilled hands, that can be a profitable market.

email to tvornottv+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.