Much like the late Gawker, Facebook's goal is to draw the masses to the
website. The goal is not to provide or distribute information, merely to
share (and get users to share) content to keep people interested.

Also worth noting that, unlike Twitter, Facebook doesn't label paid posts
as ads in its trending topics (they did start referring to posts as
"sponsored" in the news feeds, finally). So there is no way of knowing
which topics are trending due to popularity vs those somebody paid to make
trending.