If they were presenting it as a kind of celebrity or pop culture profile
then your argument is more convincing to me. But I perceived them to be
pushing this as a news-breaking piece documenting charges of assault and
violation of campaign financing laws in addition to salacious material
about the President of the United States. I think they knew they were not
going to be scooped by any other outlet doing an interview with her, and I
think they had a good bet that the tv audience was not going to dwindle on
a story about a porn star talking about her sex night with Trump.

I have always had a related question about 60 Minutes, which is why this is
interesting to me. Those guys do sometimes break real news - yet at best
they always make us wait until Sunday at 7:00. They do sometimes release
clips and quotes (though, interestingly, they refused to do any of that for
the Daniels interview, presumably because there was so little news, and so
much free PR already).

I suspect if the story was about Trump meeting with a Russian gangster in
2007 in his hotel they would not have waited two weeks to check the CCTV
footage before running it.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:37 AM Adam Bowie <a...@adambowie.co.uk> wrote:

> I am not a journalist, but I'd have thought that holding over something
> like this was fine. While CBS may well have just been looking to maximise
> the audience, they might also have been taking legal advice, or seeking to
> stand up elements of the story. It's a long shot, but wouldn't you at least
> try to see if 7 year old parking lot CCTV might have been available?
>
> In any case, holding onto something like this for ratings purposes is also
> a risk. The story could easily have moved on, and they'd have been left
> with an interview that didn't fully meet where the story was currently at.
> Someone else might have given a rival media outlet a bombshell interview
> that left this as an also-ran.
>
> Journalists can and do sit on stories for periods of time for all sorts of
> reasons, including commercial. But the longer you delay, the bigger the
> risk that someone beats you to the punch.
>

> Adam

Sent from Gmail Mobile