Right - so this is a very cogent and helpful analysis showing why this is a
high stakes discussion. I think  you do not emphasize enough the role of
teaching consumers of this new media how to evaluate the quality and
credibility of a source than I think is warranted. When I was a kid there
was a lot of “fake news” in school books and encyclopedias about, say
Thomas Jefferson and his relationship to slaves, or Andrew Jackson and his
relationship to Indians. The solution was not to ban purveyors of that
false information, but to teach people how to read more critically, and to
fight the bad information with better information. Still, it is probably
true that the internet makes information so easily available that a smaller
percentage of those who read the information are motivated and competent
enough to evaluate it.

But, even granting almost all of your point, that does not really address
my point. I am not arguing for free speech absolutism after all. Given the
extra power (and danger) of information on the internet, which makes
regulating the most dangerous forms of information more important, we still
have the problem of determining the characteristics that make certain kinds
of information so dangerous that they should be prohibited (or, to
recognize your point, less easily accessible)? As I say, I am very
 prepared to conclude that Jones is in the Red Zone - but I also know that
even if he were just in the Yellow Zone I disagree with him so much that I
might be in danger of voting to ban him anyway. What I need to be more
comfortable with banning (or at least discriminating against) a particular
information source that I don’t like is some criteria that I am convinced
can be used fairly with all potential sources of information - including
those I agree with.

Sent from Gmail Mobile