>From this side of the Atlantic where free speech isn't enshrined into law
the same way as it is on your side, a few other thoughts.

I'll start by saying that I think operators like Apple, YouTube and
Facebook are entirely within their rights to get rid of him. I also think
that he's a nasty individual that has somehow gained way too much attention
(I first came across him in a Jon Ronson book and TV series many years ago,
when Ronson came across him at the Bohemian Grove).

As pretty much everyone is saying, this isn't a free speech issue. It's
probably being framed that way because to a certain generation, access to
YouTube or Facebook is tantamount to how we communicate in 2018.

But this is also an example of how the big tech companies are having to
decide what they really are. For lots of reasons, they've been trying to
take a position of not being responsible for anything. They would argue
that they're just the platform and in the same way, the phone company isn't
responsible if I plan a crime using the phone, they've wanted to stay out
of the fray. How many times has Mark Zuckerberg tried to argue that his is
a tech company and not a media company? See also why it's taken them an
awful long time to come around to the idea that some of what they're doing
might not be good for democracy and be misused by others.

That's harder to do now because they're such big advertising beasts. They
are part of the media mix. And it turns out that big brands don't want
their messaging associated with hate speech and the like. So they have to
start making choices. Ideally they want to do everything algorithmically.
There's too much being posted for anyone to monitor. We live in a world
where Disney or Nickelodeon have many layers of checking before something
makes it to one of their kids' channels. But YouTube doesn't even vet all
the video that gets posted to the kid-friendly bit of YouTube.

The interesting things is that these companies tend to be quite at good at
keeping some things off their sites - notably porn. Sure they also end up
banning Renaissance paintings, iconic photographs from the Vietnam war, and
mothers feeding their babies. But the algorithms seem reasonably good at
identifying bare skin.

What they can't do is easily determine content beyond that, and more to the
point, whether it crosses their virtual line in the sand about what's
acceptable. Is a man behind a desk screaming dangerous or not?

In the end, I don't have a problem with any of this happening. YouTube and
Facebook aren't basic services like electricity and water which we all have
a right to. They get to make their own rules. If you don't agree with them,
then set-up your own video hosting site. Just the same as when no publisher
wants to publish your 'manifesto' you can go away and get it printed
yourself. We live in an age when, for better or worse, it is easier than
ever to get your message out there and find like minded individuals. There
aren't half a dozen proprietors who control access to print, or four
network presidents who in effect control access to public airwaves.

Sure, it might impact on your real business of selling over-priced
so-called food supplements, but that's a different problem.

Adam