On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:05 AM Adam Bowie <a...@adambowie.co.uk> wrote:

> I can't begin to think about how tough it must be to be a young person in
> today's world of social media. While bullying has always happened, at least
> you could largely leave it behind at the school gates at the end of the
> day. Today it's 24/7 with jokes and memes being shared, to which you may or
> may not be privy.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAD_sJGA-3o9JLLBWi0U16s70NLzOPRfOGXTmY7pqYcUY1DqMiA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

In a podcast episode I listened to about internet addiction, the guest
pointed out that if anyone over 40 (or maybe 50 at this point) was told by
authority that they were completely banned from all social media apps and
websites, we would be able to shrug it off and go back to how we dealt with
the world before social media existed. If a 15 year old were to be
similarly banned, they would experience acute isolation because that is the
way their peers communicate with each other and share things.