Warning: This gets complicated, really fast, so hang on.

I abandoned iPhones after Apple effectively bricked my phone about
eight years ago. I inadvertently did one too many iOS upgrades, which made
it incompatible with the un-upgradeable version of iTunes on my
no-longer-supported PowerPC iMac. Before that, I was all in on Apple. So I
have everything tied to Apple except my phone, a Google Pixel (this is
important). I have a Mac Mini, a MacBook Air, and two Apple TVs (3rd
generation, not the latest, which is also important).

Apple sent me an email to get me to sign up for multi-factor
authentication. I'm generally good with this (we'll pass the whole MFA on
mobile insecurity issue for now), so I signed up.

Two weeks later, my six-year-old wanted to watch Despicable Me. My wife
incorrectly thought it was not on Netflix. (We found out later she was
wrong. Please do not ask me how I took it when I discovered she confused
one of the sequels with the original. Also, everything I'm about to
describe wouldn't have happened if she checked before this started.) I
decided to blow the $4 on an iTunes rental.

Because I was upstairs where the Mac Mini was, so I figured it would be
easy peasy to get it there and have it air on the downstairs Apple TV.
Dropped the coin, went downstairs...and nothing's there.

To get iTunes streaming to work within a home network, you have to sign
into the same Apple ID on all devices. So everything's supposed to be
connected and signed up. I discover that due to inactivity, the Apple TV
kept the acknowledgment of the account, but logged me out. I had to log
back in.

No problem. Email in, look up the password to confirm, type it in, and...a
cryptic error message came up.

I go back, try again...get the same cryptic error message: this time, my
phone pings with a text from Apple with the MFA code.

Upstairs I go, where there's a new screen asking if I've logged in
somewhere new. Which...I guess I was trying to? I accept it, and it gives
me a new code.

I go back downstairs and try again, and there's that error message. This
time I read it twice, and it says I have to do something weird with
modifying my password to take into account the MFA.

I grab my MacBook Air, which now also has a couple of these "Are you trying
to sign in?" messages. Now I realize the problem is with the MFA. So let's
just shut that mother down and move on with our lives.

You can't.

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided that once you choose to sign up for
MFA, you can never back out.

So I am now absolutely white-hot furious. I've invested a good 15 minutes
into trying to get this damn movie to play. Remember: Apple loves to brag
that everything works seamlessly. This is so very not seamless.

Here, after another five minutes lost, is what I figured out I was/am
supposed to do.

1. Try logging in on my AppleTV.
2. It will error out and give me that cryptic error message. But it will
fire the MFA.
3. I have to figure out which of the three devices (the Mac Mini, the
MacBook Air, or my Pixel) Apple sent the code.
4. Once I've found it, I'm to try logging in again, but to append the code
to the end of my password. So if my password is "Qwerty12" and the code is
987654, I'm supposed to enter Qwerty12987654 for the password.

I am a very smart man who's spent his life in computers and the last 12
years in user experience design. This is psychotic.

I can't wrap this up well, but it breaks my heart that Apple went from
being a company I loved with every fiber of my being to one I wouldn't give
a plug nickel.