I don't know the ins and outs of your box, but I suspect that your
recordings have some kind of encryption on them.

I'd be looking at using a combination of an HDMI splitter and an HDMI
capture card. The "splitter" which you can find cheap on Amazon and eBay
needs to be one that removes the HDMI encryption. They're used by gamers on
consoles to send one signal to the TV and another to their computer for
capture/streaming. Then use the output of the splitter with an HDMI capture
card to record onto your PC using something like the free OBS. Capture
cards from name brands like Elgato aren't super cheap, and have been hard
to find recently. But there are some really good cheap no-brand Chinese
ones (
https://www.theverge.com/21346571/cheap-cam-link-capture-card-streamer-clone-review-test-price)
and I've used one very successfully. Just find someone shipping from a
local location rather than China for speed. It's possible that these also
remove encryption, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, with those two and the odd HDMI cable you hit play on your DVR and
can record nice clean un-encrypted digital output on your computer.

Adam