What kind of DVR do you have? There are common solutions for TiVos that I
know about, but if it's a Comcast box (e.g. X1), I don't know what you'd do
(other than what Adam describes). Of course, if you can't get the box to
run at all (if that's what the error code suggests), I don't believe there
is a practical way to get the shows off the raw hard drive.

- Mitch