As an example, I have used Dish dvrs that needed replaced or upgraded  over the
years. The techs that came to switch them out said that the programming on the
dvr one or two tb hard drives were encrypted. The only way to save the
recordings was to move the programs to an external hard drive. There are 2 usb
ports on my current Dish box which also contains the dvr. The external drives
could be read from a new Dish box.

None of the programs either on the box or the external could be converted to
another file type to be read on any device not connected to the Dish box. The
techs said Dish uses the encryption to prevent copyright infringement.

Everything left on the outgoing Dish dvr was lost when it was replaced. The
hard drive inside the old could not be switched to the replacement box. Dish
support said that each box had a unique encryption that could not be read by
another Dish box.

Dish had to activate the encryption remotely on the externals. As of a couple
years ago, 2tb drive capacity was the upper limit. I believe Dish support said
that larger drives could be used but the Dish software only let 2tb could be
recorded. It might have changed since then. They did suggest that I could
switch out 2tb drives and switch back when content was needed.

It could be that Comcast uses a similar system. Perhaps Comcast boxes have usb
ports to attach external drives.

-Tom