On first reading, I was as exasperated with this news as many others are.
I'm not actually that interested in The Oscars either with the rampant
gaming of the system through big budget For Your Consideration campaigns.

But I mellowed on reading this BBC piece explaining how BAFTA in the UK *has
already *done something similar without me even noticing. From what I've
read, the Academy has based its new rules quite a lot on what BAFTA has
already done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54082567

The BBC piece points out that movies like 1917 (pretty much 100% white male
leads and co-stars) and The Two Popes (two white male leads) amongst other
films both qualified through various other categories. So it's not as
though the subject matter of films need to be limited. But productions may
have to work a bit behind the scenes to qualify.

What would really be interesting is to go back through recent nominees in
the categories they're talking about and see just how many would already
qualify.

Adam