Can this alternate universe also be one where Craig Ferguson takes over for
Dave upon his retirement?

Assuming late night looks like this:

11:35

   - CBS - The Late Show with Craig Ferguson
   - NBC - The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien
   - ABC - Jimmy Kimmel Live

12:35

   - CBS - The Late Late Show with James Corden*
   - NBC - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

* Assuming CBS keeps the program alive once CraigyFerg transitions to
11:35, the question of who fills this slot has a lot to do with who ends up
owning the show.  If CBS takes over the timeslot, as they did in our
reality, then presumably Corden is still tapped to take the spot.  If
Ferguson reaches the same sort of deal with CBS that Dave had, and he owns
the timeslot, I'd assume he'd go for a more out-there standup, probably a
woman, probably a POC.

Let's also assume that Jon Stewart leaves TDS when he did IRL, but the
Colbert Report continues in some form beyond the IRL end date, since
there's no longer a hard start date for him at CBS.  Given that, I'd say
Colbert's name is in the mix to take over for Conan, as well as some former
SNLers (Kenan, maybe?) and possibly Leslie Jones or someone like Yvette
Nicole Brown (not a standup necessarily, but a recognizable name, a known
quantity in comedy and one of those 'can do it all' types).