Okay, so Episode 3 is the strongest of the three hours shown so far,
(though still in my view not very good) after Episode 2 last week, which
was by far the weakest (and again I so agree with the point made by others
that the bloat in the documentary is atrocious).

The heart of any argument that the evidence is clear that Allen molested
Dylan has to be in explaining why the official investigations into the
allegations  did not find them convincing. Episode 3 engages these issues,
and raised some valid questions (e.g, why did the Yale Child Sexual Abuse
Clinic destroy their notes? Why did they interview a 7 year old child so
frequently?). Unfortunately the documentary is again not transparent or
complete in its discussion of these issues. They have a couple of experts
say that notes are never destroyed in a forensic assessment like this, but
neglect to report that in the early 1990s it was not just common
professional practice, but state law, to destroy notes after a
determination was made that alleged abuse had not occurred. I agree that
frequent interviews of young children are poor practice, but the doc does
not say (and, having read the summary of the Yale Clinic’s findings, I
still do not know) how long each of these interviews were, or how many of
them covered the same ground. The documentary also fails to point out that
the video Mia made of her daughter prior to taking her for formal
evaluation was itself composed of many sessions, with the camera turned off
and on repeatedly.

I have been thinking that if the Doc had any chance to justify itself, it
would be in presenting new evidence to show malfeasance in the CT and NY
investigations, but there is nothing new here, mostly warmed over (often
directly quoted) allegations from long time Allen critics like Maureen
Orth. I also thought there might be reports that Mia was alleging multiple
incidents of abuse, but so far the focus is on those missing 20 minutes
allegedly in the attic. It’s not impossible that Woody Allen is a single
incident child molestor, but that is hardly the typical pattern. Dylan was
examined by physicians and even her mother acknowledges no physical
evidence of sexual abuse was ever found; this does not rule out many kinds
of sexual abuse, but again there is no evidence here that abuse occurred.
The long section of Ep 3 that is Allen critics annotating the custody trial
and outcome is of no bearing on the central issues. As the doc point out,
it is common for fathers accused of abuse to sue for custody (sometimes
vindictive punishment by psychopaths, other times genuine and heartsick
attempts to rescue children from toxic envionrments), but in my experience
even conventional fathers most often do not win, and putting child abuse
allegations to the side, Woody Allen is hardly a conventional father.

Maybe episode 4 will bring something new (one would think they would try to
end with a bombshell - and they hint at some explosive explanation why the
CT DA did not file charges at the end of Ep 3) but after 3 bloated hours
there is nothing substantively added to what was previously known about
this case.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile