A key paragraph perhaps considering what @Pgage has been saying:

"Ziering and Dick don’t know what happened between Dylan and her father.
Neither do I and neither, perhaps, does anyone at this point, as repeated
retellings take the place of real memory. Braver and better film-makers
would drill down into how historical truth can change over time, and how
two people can look at one image and see very different things."