I feel like it's a little reductive (albeit accurate) to call him "the EP
with a shady past".  He also has previous hosting experience (he was really
growing into the role on Pyramid when GSN pulled the plug) and knows the
game better than just about anyone available.  I didn't get to see all the
guest hosts, but based on what I saw, I think Richards is the right choice,
as he brings a lot of the same game-command qualities to the role as Ken
Jennings without actually BEING Ken Jennings (and, therefore, being a
target rather than a neutral party).