I'm not entirely sure that this is the worst profile in the world. Is
Jeremy Strong a "Method" actor - so it seems. But then so are people like
Daniel Day Lewis and Al Pacino - both heavily referenced in the piece. If I
were an actor, would I find him difficult to work with? Undoubtedly. But,
you know, actors...

I suspect that from Strong's perspective, and Aaron Sorkin's, it's really
about whether he conveys a "difficult to work with" vibe that prevents him
from getting things. I suspect that won't be the case, and he'll be in
plenty of projects with awards considerations in the future.

As for this season of Succession? I've got to say that I thought it was a
triumph. I don't think that there's better writing anywhere in television,
and the performances - even the outlandish ones from the likes of Kieren
Culkin (Roman) and Nicholas Braun (cousin Greg) - are actually quite
nuanced. The family feels very real, with the entitled kids falling over
one another to backstab each other at various points. The story is very
contemporary, and while there are odd episodes that veer close to farce
(the AGM episode or the 40th birthday party), there's a direction that
feels right all the way through. The characters are now so well embedded in
our minds that we know if they're behaving as we would expect them to:
Kendall spiraling out of control through his addictions; Roman's
self-destructive elements that appear every time he does something "right";
Connor's utter lack of any kind of self-realisation; Shiv's failure to
truly understand her father and her indifference to her unloved husband -
that has viciously come back to bite her.

These are all truly awful people, yet I love spending time with them. I
have to return to the writing again and again - Lady Caroline directly
using a line that the entitled former British MP Alan Clarke once
introduced us to in his diaries when he spoke of a colleague who had made
his money more recently as having had to "buy his own furniture." In other
words, he was 'new money,' and 'old money' looks down on 'new money.'

It's easily my favourite TV series of 2021.

Adam