The addition of Pike (Anton Mount) in season 2 and their eventual jump to
the far future turned the show around and made it feel more Trek-like, but
it took too long to shake off a first season which, yes, felt decidedly
un-Trekie. Personally, I'm OK with Disco closing up shop as long as they
leave things open to a future series set in that timeframe (where,
admittedly, there's a lot to explore).  As long as we get more SNW and
Lower Decks, I'm OK with it.