On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Doug Williams <do...@igudo.com> wrote:

> Jake,
> There are two options. Since I don't know what you've looked into, I'll
> list them below.
>
> You can use the social graph API [1] to gain a list of all other friend IDs
> in a single call. This method however does not return screen name of a user
> as explained in the linked discussion. This is, however a good method to
> easily get a complete list of a user's friends' IDs which could then be used
> with individual calls to the users/show method [2] to cache screen name
> values.

Um, "easily?"  When people have hundreds or thousands of friends?  Maybe
easy to write the code, but extremely SLOW and a big consumer of API calls.

> The second, and less API intensive method to retrieve a list of all screen
> names is to page and parse through a user's friends with paginated calls to
> the statuses/friends method [3].

I think TweetDeck populates its screen name lists (for creating groups) from
the statuses it receives.  That's a PITA for the user when they want to add
somebody who hasn't tweeted recently, but it eventually catches up with all
the active users.

Nick