On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Doug Williams <do...@igudo.com> wrote:

> The second, and less API intensive method to retrieve a list of all screen
> names is to page and parse through a user's friends with paginated calls to
> the statuses/friends method

I've been trying this out for the last day or so... unfortunately, it turns
out to be quite slow.  The problem is that you have to slog through many,
many statuses (100 at a time, of course) to get the screen_names.  It looks
to me as though the most efficient approach will be to use the statuses to
get the most active users' names, abandon it when getting news statuses
isn't yielding many new names, then use the show call to get the rest if you
really want them.

Nick