Greg,
If you want to access a user_timeline through a browser try sending a
request to:

http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/[username].json<http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/%5Busername%5D.json>
?since_id=[since_id]

where the variables denoted with [*] are replaced accordingly. You will be
prompted to input your username and password for basic authentication.

You can also try the same call through a command line with cURL:

curl -u username:password
http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/[username].json?since_id=[since_id]

Does that set you on the right path? I believe what is tripping you up is
placing the credentials in the URL when they need to be pushed through the
headers.

Doug Williams
Twitter API Developer Support
http://twitter.com/dougw