Greg,

It looks like the code (in jetchJSONObjectForURL) is using a shortcut
method of grabbing data from the web with
NSString:initWithContentsOfURL: which creates an NSString from the
contents at a specific URL ( go figure! ).  I'm not sure if that method
utilizes the credential store, if not you would need to expand the code
to get the data explicitly with a NSURLConnection (Like is done in the
updateStatus function)

You can register a set of credentials with the credential storage system
before you make the NSURLConnection call like so:

NSURLCredential *credential =
  [NSURLCredential credentialWithUser:username
                             password:password
                          persistence:NSURLCredentialPersistenceForSession];

NSURLProtectionSpace *protectionSpace =
  [[NSURLProtectionSpace alloc] initWithHost:@"twitter.com"
                                        port:0
                                    protocol:@"http"
                                       realm:nil
                        authenticationMethod:nil];

[[NSURLCredentialStorage sharedCredentialStorage]
setDefaultCredential:credential

forProtectionSpace:protectionSpace];

Now that the credentials are stored you are free to make your call using
NSURLConnection (verbatim from your code):
NSData *data = [NSURLConnection sendSynchronousRequest:request
returningResponse:&response error:&error];

Also, change this line:

NSURL *url = [NSURL URLWithString:[NSString
stringWithFormat:@"http://%@:%@@twitter.com/statuses/update.json";,
username, password]];

to this:

NSURL *url = [NSURL