I'd love to be able to do this also, and have mentioned it off the
list.

Imagine a "Twitter Connect" button, which would be a tiny iframe
loaded from twitter.com. If signed in, the token exchange could take
place right there. If not signed in, a new window could load with the
regular OAuth process. The callback in the button would be to a tiny
iframe acting as a confirmation of the success, loaded by the
consumer.

There is a diminished phishing risk, because the widget isn't asking
for your password. Only the new window would.

The only question is how the rest of the widget gets the notification
that the OAuth access grant has taken place. My thought is that the
widget could just ping the web service to see if things are integrated
properly. Cross domain iframe communication is a HUGE pain in the ass.
You can get around it if the twitter iframe loaded a designated hidden
iframe from the 3rd party.

Alternatively, you could ask the user to refresh the widget /
bookmarklet.

Generally, I'd like to see some standard buttons from twitter, so
normalize the OAuth experience. You can see on the top of http://tipjoy.com
a banner we made that uses twitter fonts and colors.

Best,
Ivan
http://tipjoy.com

ps check out our twitter payments api: http://tipjoy.com/api