The official word from Opera is that it's an Opera thing:

"A host having an IP address that is either in the intranet range, or
in the public network range (that is, not localhost) cannot access or
automatically initiate resources on localhost, this includes
redirects. The action have to be manual. (additionally, if the
localhost server refuse access, requests to a hostname that is not
"localhost" will just result in a blank resource, as that method is
used for adbusting)

Similarly, a host on a public network cannot automatically access
resources on servers in the intranet range.

Both these are implemented for security reasons, as this type access
and redirects can be used to attack servers that are not otherwise
available to the public network, and which as a result may have
reduced defences against attacks (after all, "they are behind the
firewall")."

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=2968737

Sorry for polluting the Twitter API thread with what turns out to be a
browser feature, but at least now we all know. This really threw me
last night.