Thanks, I'm familiar with the setting.

Somehow the setting does not have any effect with the account I'm
testing with: not when logged in to twitter.com, and not when using
statuses/friends_timeline. Chad's posting made me do some tests with
two other accounts: there the setting works as it should.

The only difference between the accounts I can think of is that the
misbehaving account is the one I used when applying for a higher rate
limit (20,000). Could there be a relation?

thanks, Jack