I'm using perl (NET::Twitter) to submit a status update.  The update
consists of a text string and a URL of our tracker module.  The
purpose of this is to allow us to track any sales that arise as a
result of the clickthrough and associate them with the source.

It appears that the URL is being changed:

The source reads (for instance)
Added Item: 5.25 carats princess diamond pave engagement ring new
http://tias.com/cgi-bin/tw.fcgi/itemKey=3923612043

where http://tias.com/cgi-bin/tw.fcgi/itemKey=3923612043 is the key to
our tracker and the page that is eventually served is
http://www.earthling.com/13527/PictPage/3923612043.html  (that latter
was determined from http://www.earthling.com/13527/PictPage/3923612043.html)
which is a very very handy tool, I must say.

However, when I interrogate the text from twitter, it turns out that
our URL has been changed to a bit.ly one:

p $result->{text}
Added Item: 5.25 carats princess diamond pave engagement ring new
http://bit.ly/11qkU1

I've dug down through the LWP::userAgent level and it seriously
appears that this change is happening at Twitter

Firstly, it isn't on our bit.ly account (and I really don't want to
use bit.ly for this) and second why is this happening?

Any advice?

Am I missing something critical in the documentation someplace?