On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com> wrote:

>> The best you can do is use the bit.ly API to un-shorten the link and
>> grab your URL key from there.
>>
>> Have a look at the /expand method in their API:
>> http://code.google.com/p/bitly-api/wiki/ApiDocumentation
>
> Or, implement your own URL shortening scheme (either internally, or using
> a specific service that meets your needs), with the assumption that the
> shortening will occur and at least this way you can control the situation
> under how the shortening is handled.

I believe that Twitter will shorten links over 30 characters, but this
does not *always* seem to be the case.

Your best bet (IMO) is to determine which service you want to use and
shorten the links yourself. I started putting together a list of them
not too long ago and came up with these:

bit.ly
xrl.us
tr.im
snipr.com