We would like users to be judicious with their following habits and only
follow users who contribute value to their timeline. This justifies the
following limits we impose.
We are aware that many users would like to accept all incoming directs.
This, along with the quid pro quo following to build community, capture the
majority of the use-cases for auto-following. We are discussing internally
how to best approach these two uses within the bounds of the product we are
trying to build.  At this time we have nothing to report but know we are
actively thinking about these ideas.

Thanks,
Doug