As someone who is currently suspended (@capttaco) and has been
suspended for over a month, let me add some of own experience to the
conversation.

First, I'm not a spammer, nor have I promoted anything offensive or
disingenuous. I've a software developer, that started using Twitter
three years ago when I attended C4[1]. As far as I can tell, my
suspension was the result of having a website hacked.

The Facts:
- Inside of my profile, I linked (as do several people) to my personal
website.
- Over a month ago, the site running wordpress, was hacked and a
malicious link was injected into the top post of my blog.
- Overnight (EST) on a Sunday, the site was marked by Google as
malicious and my twitter account was suspended.

Solution attempts:
1) Upon realizing my site was hacked, I took down the wordpress blog,
used Google's webmaster tools to request a review and the malicious
warning was removed within a few hours. I sent a support request to
Twitter notifying them of how I resolved the issue.

2) After 2 days without a response, I tried logging into my twitter
account. I realized that even though I was suspended (and therefore
couldn't post), I was able to modify my profile. So, I changed the
link in my profile to another site (that Google didn't think was
malicious) and sent another support request. Still no response.

The lack of customer support from Twitter has been appalling. I enjoy
twitter, as a user and hopefully one day as a developer (which
unfortunately has been halted, since I can't access my account at all
from an API). I'm frustrated, but not nearly has high profile as Louie
Mantia. I even tried having some friends intervene (to no avail):

http://stationinthemetro.com/blog/2009/5/26/twitter-suspension-please-help-rob-rhyne.html

I'm a licensed user of Twitterific, Birdhouse and Tweetie (both Mac
and iPhone), which are useless with a suspended account.

Also, FYI (to developers), when you're account is suspended the API
sends back a generic authentication message that "The user is not
authorized." It leaves little opportunity for developers to
differentiate from a suspended account and a bad authentication.