Brad,

Encryption on disk and encryption over the wire are not the issues and
really don't have very much to do with the Basic vs. OAuth decision.

The most important issue I see is that Basic Auth requires you to give
your Twitter credentials to a person you do not know.  This is a BAD
IDEA.

Basic Auth is great for prototyping and testing and getting the core
functionality of your app working, but at some point you should bit
the bullet and implement OAuth.  It's better for your customers
(security) and it's better for you because your customers can use your
application with peace of mind.

If YOU wouldn't hand over YOUR Twitter credentials to a stranger, it's
silly to expect your users to do so.