One security advantage of oauth with desktop apps is allowing the
application to keep you logged in
without having to store your password in plaintext on the hard disk. This
way if the computer is compromised or stolen later on your password is not
compromised.

I still think the UX with desktop based oauth apps isn't the most joyful and
could be improved upon. One possible solution that has been brought up is
allowing the desktop app to "authorize" on your behalf using your username
and password. This way the app can get the access token without the user
having to visit the SP's site. Once the access token has been retrieved the
application can "forget" the password and remain logged in even if the
password changes in the future. All resource requests would then be done
using oauth with the access token.

Overall I think OAuth is a good solution for API authentication. Its secure
and provides benefits to the user, consumer, and sp.

--
Josh