On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Bradley S.
O'Hearne<brad.ohea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really want to hear stated, or read on a FAQ, is the pre-requisite
> security trust, that in that scenario, it necessarily makes OAuth
> superior to basic authentication.

The problem here is that you're paying attention, instead
of just accepting "oauth is better because it is!" statements :-)

For desktop apps (and in any case where the application has
has control of the UI and/or your computer) OAuth has no
security advantage (since the app can snoop the interaction)
I'm sure bad people are working on a way to make this true
in  browser apps as well, but I don't know of any examples.

For web applications, many commentators acknowledge an
increased risk of phishing as a potential problem with OAuth,
although I haven't personally read any studies that indicate
whether it's a theoretical or practical problem at this point.

In any case, the primary benefit in OAuth is not protecting
the user immediately from an evil application (since the
authorization tokens an OAuth server hand out are just as
powerful as passwords and must be protected like passwords)
it's that:

 - the owners of the service can (in theory) administratively
 ban an application without forcing all the users to change
 their passwords (a potentially very big benefit, maybe the
 single benefit that justifies the general inconvenience)

 - an individual user can ban an application by revoking its
 authz token without having to change their password (a
 moderate-at-best benefit, since you could always just
 change your password)

 - an individual who is using exactly the same password
 at many sites doesn't have to expose out their mono-password
 to an app (people mention this a lot, but come on, should
 security system try to make people feel better about hitting
 themselves on the head with a hammer? but this gets
 mentioned a lot, so there you go)

So, the security picture is actually a little fuzzy. There are
some big wins for service administrators, some real (but
medium-sized?) wins for users, some fundamental limits
of applicability (web-apps only) and some open questions
about phishing and snooping. And lots and lots of hype :-)

-cks

--
Christopher St. John
http://praxisbridge.com