I love how in this discussion people keep trying to bring emotion and
personal beliefs into a legal context.

So he made a tool for spammers.  What does that have to do with
anything?

"First they came for the Spammers and I didn’t speak up, because I
wasn’t a Spammer."

There are two LEGAL issues here

- The Twitter Trademark

- Violation of TOS

Twitter trademark - as has been mentioned by many - you can NOT
selectively enforce a trademark.  I don't care what the application's
intended use.

As for the violation of TOS - the section of the TOS that Chris quoted
is explicit, but then goes vague by injecting brevity and 'kindas'.
Strict interpretation would evaluate that Chris's game application is
in violation of the TOS.   Unfortunately most of the Twitter TOS is
vague.  Every application you write requires an evaluation against
nothing certain.  'Hmmm this service provides value to me, and I
believe it provides value to the Twitter community that it targets,
but will it provide value to the Twitter lawyers?'

I don't know the specifics of the My Twitter Butler application but
there is probably wiggle room.