Beier,
But you can up vote a tweet you like by favoriting it - it is just that
favoriting is very very underused - so much so that a lot of clients don't
seem to support it.  A RT is about injecting something you like into your
followers feeds because you think it will be of value to them.  It has a
slightly different meaning.  This is partly the reason why I suggest that
they make overhaul the favoritng at a minimum, so for a given tweet you can
see who favorites it, and seperate out re-tweets.

The issue with favorites is that are personal to a user and a tweet so are
not visible in the UI to everyone else (which is something that the RT seems
to be trying to solve), and also track re-tweets as they are two different
things.

You can get a users favorites pretty easily.

Paul