The favourite model is very similar to how Flickr works, though
Twitter lacks the ability to see who marked your tweet as a favourite.
It feels like one of those features that got built and then put to one
side while scaling took over as the main issue. I'd love to see more
done with favouriting, I think it is less noisy than retweeting.

That favourites are public is not obvious unless you look, but the
same can be said of Flickr, all favourites are public there too.