The ideal solution is for Twitter to "change the system" and
allow each account to have only one screen name, all the
time, forever, with no changes.  Then a separate "id" value
is not required because all account identification will be
done by the original screen name.

REST and SEARCH would finally be consistent.  No extra calls
to figure out who the user really is.  Users would complain
until they got used to the fact that they cannot change
their screen names on a whim anymore, but they will learn to
deal with it soon enough.

Email doesn't just let you change your address whenever you
feel like it, and I see no reason why Twitter should allow
screen name changes either ... except that it takes more
work to standardize the system in this way than to continue
with what already exists.

But with only the screen name as each unique account
identifier things would certainly be much simpler.  Many
fewer requests to the server.  Less data storage.  And being
that Twitter is supposed to be simple this seems like a goal
worth pursuing, at least from my point of view.

Owkaye