On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM, owkaye<owk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The ideal solution is for Twitter to "change the system" and allow each
> account to have only one screen name, all the time, forever, with no
> changes. Then a separate "id" value is not required because all account
> identification will be done by the original screen name.

This is overkill.

First of all, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of abandoned
usernames. I was able to take one over, which didn't interfere with
anything: all my stats remained the same, I didn't lose any of my
followers or friends.

I know at least two people who have changed usernames to protect their
privacy (switching from their "real names" to something more
anonymous).

> Email doesn't just let you change your address whenever you feel like it,
> and I see no reason why Twitter should allow screen name changes either ...

Twitter isn't email.

Signed:
@tj

formerly @luomat