Agreed.  What else is wefollow.com, which Twitter freely advertises,
but a ranking of people by followers (just look at some of the top
people in the categories and you have to ask yourself, wtf!?)  When
the value of a Twitter account is determined by followers (as apps
like wefollow make clear), then people will obviously and naturally
try to increase their follower counts.  I mean, Twitter freely
advertises twittercounter.com too... and that app even shows charted
daily growth in followers, prompting viewers to wonder how they, too,
can have such growth.

And, personally, I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that.
After all, which is more detrimental to the community, someone like
Karl Rove or Rick Sanchez or Arnold Schwarzenegger using some auto-
follow technique, or the 10s of 1000s of BS accounts tweeting about
weight loss or promotional URL @replies to random people?

I wish Twitter would focus it's anti-spam tactics MORE on the content
of the tweet stream, rather than on some amorphous following abuse
which they undercut by highlighting apps like wefollow.  Or at least a
combination of the two.  There's too many accounts tweeting about
weight loss, etc... and it's a shame when folks like Karl Rove, Rick
Sanchez, and others get suspended because they apparently fell afoul
of follow/unfollow.  A quick look at their tweet stream and it is
apparent they are not spammers.

There's too many false positives in the current anti-spam dragnets,
and far too little focus on the clear-as-day spam tweets currently
making Twitter increasingly hard to use.