Presumably to do the OAuth vanity plate, you have to do what you
described in your "disgruntled developer" post above.  I.e., the user
registers their own OAuth app and enters the corresponding values in
your app, allowing you to masquerade as their app in tweets.  Frankly,
it seems to run counter to the purposes of OAuth.  But the developer
of one vanity plate app I found publishes email correspondence with
"Brian" from Twitter, and says they have been personally vetted by
Twitter, so I guess it is okay...