Well PJB, there is always a completely different approach that Twitter
could take.

They could bolster their internal coding and defenses against what
they consider to be abuse, much like they did for duplicate content,
and then not suspend applications at all.

That way applications can try whatever they want. If they run into a
Twitter defense, such as a rejected update, then no harm is done on
either side, except maybe wasted bandwidth and processing resources.