What would make use of Streaming for this use case a *lot* easier would be if Twitter would export to the API more detailed information about the Trending Topics. For example, I'd like to see more topics than just the current number displayed, and tweets per unit time (hourly worst case) for each topic. I'd like to see at least the Top 100 and maybe even the Top 1000! This seems to me to be an easy task - you've got to do the computations anyway, right? Heck, with pages / cursors, you could send the whole table out and let people do their own cutoffs.

For example, over the weekend, the Trending Topics were, understandably, dominated by the Oscars. That's ten or twenty right there, by the time you factor in the fact that Farah Fawcett got ignored in the memorial, ten pictures nominated for best picture, ten Best / Best Supporting actresses, ten actors, etc. Throw the perennial Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga into the mix and it's clear there's interesting and useful information further down the list. Why should we have to monitor Streaming and do our own topic analysis and filtering, or subscribe to some service with Firehose access?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos

Quoting Mark McBride <mmcbr...@twitter.com>:

This sounds like a perfect use case for the streaming API.  The rate limits
there are different, but in general more permissive. And because you're
doing primarily OR queries, the current track functionality seems
sufficient.

  ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv