@raffi thanks for your replies. I didn't mean to start a discussion
about Twitter's policy here (although I can imagine some people would
like to discuss it elsewhere). I'm mostly interested in finding a
solution.

@dean: I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about using oAuth for
both the desktop and the web app. Did you mean letting the users allow
access through the desktop app, then storing the username/token
combination in a central database and using that database for the web
app too? That wouldn't work for me since I do not have a desktop app,
end I do not store anything in a database...