-----Original Message-----
From: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
[mailto:twitter-development-t...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John
Meyer
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 10:48 AM
To: twitter-development-talk@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [twitter-dev] Re: countdown to OAuth / basic auth removal /
OAuthcalypse

On 4/26/2010 8:43 AM, jaronbarends wrote:
> @raffi thanks for your replies. I didn't mean to start a discussion
> about Twitter's policy here (although I can imagine some people would
> like to discuss it elsewhere). I'm mostly interested in finding a
> solution.
>
> @dean: I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about using oAuth for
> both the desktop and the web app. Did you mean letting the users allow
> access through the desktop app, then storing the username/token
> combination in a central database and using that database for the web
> app too? That wouldn't work for me since I do not have a desktop app,
> end I do not store anything in a database...

no I think he meant that you can use the oAuth for EITHER the desktop or

the web.  You wouldn't even need to store the username; just the token
and the token_secret.  And the database can be anything from an actual
RDBMS to a text file stored on the server (although with the fact that
almost every web host that you pay for provides at least MySQL and the
fact that text files are notoriously insecure you should be thinking
about upgrading).

Yeh but John, who is going to install MySQL for a desktop client?

You're still thinking webapps instead of desktop (yes I realize I'm in
the minority here).

Cheers,

Dean