As far as an application is concerned, the logged in/logged out state of the
Twitter user is immaterial. The REST API is stateless and does not pertain
to a session state. Your application should have no concern about the logged
in status of a user. Landing on a Twitter profile URL does not require a
login, regardless of the protected attribute of the Twitter user. If the
user is logged out and lands on a protected user's page, they will still see
an abbreviated version of the page, noting that the user has protected their
tweets. If the user is unprotected, they get a standard logged-out version
of the profile page.

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod