Hi Taylor,

Thanks for your analysis.  As mentioned, I'm using oauth-proxy (http://
github.com/mojodna/oauth-proxy, I think was the URL); I wrote none of
the OAuth code, so I have no idea what it may or may not be doing.  I
tried it, it seemed to work (until these problems posting nagios
notifications) so I used it.  You mentioned % characters not being
properly encoded - I did wonder whether the problem was %-related
before, but tried some test tweets containing % characters and
generally found that they posted properly.  I had a bit of a brainwave
while on the train today, though, and realised that if = signs are
being mishandled (not sure why I overlooked = before!), that would fit
the symptoms.  And indeed, it does look like that might be the problem
- I just tried substituting _ for = in a previously failed
notification, and it posted fine.

However, if oauth-proxy is indeed doing OAuth as badly as your list of
faults implies, I may have a bit of a job on my hands to figure out
what it's doing and fix it, or might try to find some other OAuth
proxy or client.  Pity, though, as oauth-proxy was about the only
thing I'd found so far which lets me send tweets relatively easily
from a shell script.  (There was a curl-alike with OAuth support whose
name I forget, which had so many dependencies (Ruby, I think) that I
eventually gave up trying to get it to work.)

It's also possible that I may be "curl"ing data into oauth-proxy
incorrectly - I will try doing %-escaping on my argument to curl's -d
option and see how that affects things.

Anyway, for now, I can replace = with _. When I have time, I can
either try staring hard at oauth-proxy to try to understand and fix
it, or look for an alternative tool.  Hmm, maybe by then, curl will
have OAuth support...

Thanks for your help,

--Charles