>When Unicode Delphi came out the goal was to port ICS with minimum
>changes, I guess the same was true when Delphi .Net came out.
No argues, but sometimes the things done in hurry should be polished, shouldn't
they?

About .Net: I see that it's in eraly development stage, so let it go as you
wish, it's all the same to me as I don't use .Net.

>It's not a mistake but simply backwards compatible.
>I did not find anything in RFC of how to handle
>non-ASCII chars with socks authentication, did you?
I've read http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1929.html, but hadn't found anything
about codepage, maybe it depends on implementation, whether server allows
Unicode login or not.

And now few more remarks:

1)  in IcsWSocket

    if (_LowerCase(FProtoStr) <> 'tcp') and (_Trim(FProtoStr) <> '6') then begin
        RaiseException('TCP is the only protocol supported thru socks server');
{ V5.26 }
        Exit;
    end;

   a) looks quite weird, as it likely to throw exception in every case
(FProtoStr can't be equal to 'tcp' and '6' at the same time)
   b) UDP through Socks5 is possible through UDP ASSOCIATE command instead of
CONNECT, as well as listening is available through BIND command

2)
    begin
        FBufHandler.Free;
        FBufHandler := nil;
    end;

=> FreeAndNil ? Much shorter

3)
TriggerError  { Should be modified to pass Msg ! }

it really should be :)

--
Anton