Shorter in code, but slower.
Is it?

Sure. But this really not important.

Note that this has been written at a timle where FreeAndNil didn't existed.
This reason I get indeed, but it's time to move on, no?

There are more interesting things to do.
Furthermore, I like to use WinMerge to see the differences between version. Changing code like that is not really interesting and will pollute the result of the comparison.

The problem is that is would break existing code. On of the gold rules in
ICS has always been and will always be to avoid as much as possible breaking
existing code. The error message, if required, should be passed thru a
property for example. This wouldn't break any existing code.
Of course, it is you to decide, but I don't see big troubles in some improvements even if they would break some code (break syntatically, but not logically!) -
one will simply edit few lines and that's all.

Not breaking code is really a key factor for the success of ICS. This has been proven for 13 year of ICS existance. I frequently get contact from user of other component suite which are happy about that golden rule.

Have you ever had to maintain a software for 10 yers or more ? If yes, then you should understand the golden rule.

And you are prisoning the project into a cage of old class interface,
having to invent lots of workarounds or to cancel further improvements because they will break...
do you really think it's what it should be? (everything's *imho*).

Yes, I do. Altough ICS is mostly designed in a way that changes are easy to do without breaking existing code. OK, there are some areas which could be enhanced but not many.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your suggestions to improve ICS. If you see the history in each source file, you'll see the large number of contributors. I would love to see you there. I simply try to maintain ICS on the right track. I think I'm successful :-)

Regards,
--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be