> somehow the application can at times no longer get data from the USB
> quick enough.

Disk I/O in Windows can be blocking, you normally only see it with bad
disk sectors when the event log shows lots of errors in red when it times
out waiting for a response from the drive.  If this is the sort of error
the USB memory key is causing, Windows will be upset.

> Is it possible that the FTP transactions can, for whatever network >
reasons> hog the CPU resources so that my application cannot get
> access to the USB data?

No, FTP uses very little CPU.  I was testing the new bandwidth throttling
a few months ago, with both ICS FTP client and server, and using one
thread per FTP client I was successfully running 250 simultaneous FTP
sessions (using my TMagFtp component), that is proper sessions each
indexing files and downloading multiple real files at the same time.  I
even had 100 session to my public FTP server over the internet.

Durations did increase as number of sessions went up, but never stopped,
and that was on my old Core2 PC with 32-bit Windows and little memory, my
newer PC is much more beefy and it's all 64-bit now, but not had time to
test again.

Angus